Your body loves movement. Moving your body is one of your most basic and natural forms of actually existing and being. Moving and flowing does not only allow us to do the most basic things of life, such as eating, walking, brushing our teeth; moving actually helps your body in so many other extraordinary ways.
Moving your body on a regular basis helps everything from your energy levels, emotions, relationships and ability to learn, to preventing harmful conditions, to your overall quality and duration of life.
Here’s just a short list of how movement -walking, dancing, gardening, exercising, doing chores- has huge benefits for you:
- It can help lower your blood pressure and cholesterol.
- It can help support brain health. (One study even showed middle-aged women who were considered "highly fit" had a lower risk of developing dementia at an early age.)
- It boosts your mood by creating more brain chemicals associated with happiness.
- It helps you handle stress better.
- It can help improve your focus and attention.
- It boosts the ability of your body to battle inflammation.
- It also helps power your body’s lymphatic system. Our lymphatic system is your own personal army against infection. The movement of your muscles is actually responsible for helping to move this important fluid and drain toxins out of your system.
And there's more…
Movement = balanced hormones
Working out keeps your insulin levels controlled, which is super important because high levels are linked to diabetes, heart disease, cancer, inflammation and obesity. It also helps regulate the amount of estrogen in your bloodstream.
Also, regular activity is linked with other vital hormones that preserve muscle as you age, including growth hormone, testosterone, and more!
It helps with anxiety and depression
Move to keep your body and muscles happy and healthy, to help reduce anxiety, reduce your stress levels, and stay in the mindset you need for long term healthy choices.
Trust us, if you move you will feel better and your anxiety will be reduced. Just move your body to your favorite song, do some yoga, take a walk in the park… anything will help.
And of course, it boosts your gut health
True health comes from within and that means taking care of your gut-health. Did you know that getting enough exercise, about 30-60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise 3 times per week, can change the makeup of your gut microbiome in as little as 6 weeks?
If you move your body, your digestive system will be at its top health and this includes cutting the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and inflammatory diseases.
Start moving your body, please!
Just do yourself an amazing favor and set your alarm clock earlier and start working out, do some yoga, ride your bicycle, do some chores, use the stairs; any kind of movement will do great benefits for your overall health. You just have o start!